Final Rule: March 12, 2013
Effective Date: June 10, 2013
The rule provides the requirements for third party conformity assessment bodies (testing laboratories) that test children’s products for the certification required by section 14(a)(2) of the Consumer Product Safety Act. The rule provides the general requirements for testing laboratories to be listed as CPSC-accepted laboratories on CPSC's website. These include:
- requirements and procedures for CPSC acceptance of the accreditation of testing laboratories, and
- the procedures for CPSC to take adverse actions against CPSC-accepted testing laboratories.
Additionally, the rule changes the audit requirements for CPSC-accepted testing laboratories and the Commission’s regulation on inspections at 16 CFR §1118.2(a). Finally, the rule provides a list of Notices of Requirements for children’s product safety rules that have been issued by the Commission. Whenever the Commission issues a new children’s product safety rule, it is added to the list of rules in 16 CFR part 1112 for which third party testing is required.
- Find a CPSC-Accepted Laboratory and Other Accreditation Resources
- Durable Infant or Toddler Products
- Business Education: Testing & Certification
- Final Rule: Audit Requirements for Third Party Conformity Assessment (Subpart C of 16 CFR 1112)
- Third Party Conformity Assessment Bodies Proposed Rule
- Video: Commission Briefing on Draft Final Rule for Third Party Conformity Assessment Bodies
- Public Comments: Requirements Pertaining to Third Party Conformity Assessment Bodies
- Record of Commission Action: Commission Vote
- Federal Register Notice of the Third Party Conformity Assessment Bodies Final Rule