Our Promise to the Public: Writing You Can Understand
CPSC is committed to using plain writing in information for the public. Our information is relevant to many groups, and plain writing makes the information even more useful. The Plain Writing Act of 2010 requires all federal agencies to write plainly when they communicate with the public and CPSC is taking many steps to use plain writing.
What CPSC Is Doing to Use Plain Writing
Writing is only one way CPSC communicates with the public. CPSC also makes presentations, holds public hearings and meetings, and produces videos and radio interviews so that our information is available to as many people as possible.
CPSC follows the Federal Plain Language Guidelines to improve our public communication materials. CPSC has already trained many staff in plain language and offers online and live training. We are creating new documents and materials for the public using plain language principles.
Plain Language Principles
Think. Organize. Don’t Be Wordy. These are just a few of the Plain Language Principles that define CPSC’s writing
CPSC’s Examples of Plain Writing for the Public
CPSC programs use plain writing in many types of public documents. Here are some examples:
- What to Know About Generators and Carbon Monoxide (CO), a safety guide
- Children’s Sleepwear, a safety alert
- Drawstrings Can Catch and Kill Children—Warning!, a safety alert
- On Safety, blog
- Toy Recall Statistics
- Tool Kits on child safety, drowning prevention, fire safety, ATV safety and carbon monoxide
- Fireworks (notice of proposed rulemaking)
- Clothing Storage Unit Tip-Overs (advance notice of proposed rulemaking)
- Table Saws
- Phthalates Final Rule
- Final Rule Plastics Determinations
- Direct Final Rule F963 Update (January)
- Direct Final Rule F963 Update (November)
- Portable Generators
- Final Rule Bouncers
- Final Rule Bath Tubs
Plain Language Reports:
Provide Us Feedback
You can provide us feedback on our documents and materials and let us know how we are doing using plain language. You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org .