When: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Tuesday, June 3, 2014
Location: U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
National Product Testing and Evaluation Center
5 Research Place
Rockville, Md. 20850
The CPSC is holding a forum that will focus on technological means of reducing the risk of carbon monoxide (CO) exposure from vented gas heating appliances under a variety of conditions.
The goals of this forum are to:
1) Inform forum attendees of the risks identified by CPSC staff and efforts made so far to address the risks of CO poisoning from vented gas heating appliances;
2) Gain a broader understanding of the scope, state of the art, and availability of sensor technologies being used in, or capable of being used in, an in-flue shut off application or similar harsh environments;
3) Gain a better understanding of the scope, state of development, and availability of prototype gas or combustion sensors that may be commercially available within 1 to 5 years and that are capable of being used in an in-flue shut off application or similar harsh environments;
4) Gain a better understanding of potential barriers to further development and commercialization of sensors used in, or capable of being used in, an in-flue shut off application or similar harsh environments;
5) Gain a better understanding of potential failure modes likely to be encountered in using gas sensors in an in-flue shut off application or similar harsh environments and strategies to mitigate those failure modes;
6) Gain a better understanding of the expected life of sensors used in an in-flue shut off application or similar harsh environments; and
7) Encourage development of technological solutions to the stated problem among forum attendees and to foster cooperative relationships among forum attendees to achieve those solutions.
Individuals who would like to be considered as panel members should submit a brief (less than 200 word) abstract of their area of expertise and proposed topic along with a draft presentation or outline at the time of registration to Mr. Ronald Jordan.
Interested stakeholders may participate in the forum in person, or view the forum webcast live at www.cpsc.gov/live.
Please fill out the form below to register for in-person attendance. No registration is required to watch the webcast. The name, affiliation and email fields are required. All other fields are optional. Please note that information you provide on this form may be released publicly.